Gadow Guitars and Basses
April 12, 2013, 01:49:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: We have a new Gadow model on its way!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About Me  (Read 1812 times)
jbdavis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2010, 10:52:14 PM »

For those that didn't see my intro thread, my name is Ben Davis. I am moonlighting at Gadow partly to learn more about the art of luthierie but mainly just to irritate Ryan. Because he needs someone around to irritate him.

In order to keep me from doing that job, he's saddled me with running the Gadow forum, so I'm going to be making some changes to the forum layout and appearance on occasion and also posting progress photos of instruments. My goal is to bring some new photos to the forum every week, but that depends on the amount of work at the shop as well as whether we actually have anything ready to show.

Anyway... See ya around!

Ben
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 10:54:09 PM by jbdavis » Logged
Darkstrike

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 05:34:05 AM »

Glad to have ya here man, nice lookin Kubricki too!  grin
jbdavis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »

Haha, thanks. Good eye!!

Yes, the Kubicki was a beautiful bass. I bought it brand new direct from Phil and it was my main bass for a while. Then the neck developed a strange twist and I ended up auctioning it off at a massive loss. It was a huge disappointment. I tried to get a new neck but it was going to cost $700 and he refused to do a multi-laminate neck for me. Unfortunately Phil will only do his famous 32-piece (or whatever it is) multi-laminate necks for the X-Factors, not the Key Factors.

Other than that, I loved it.  rolleyes
RRGadow
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 11:06:57 AM »

I dont know...I dont see much beauty there!  cheesyThats one small headstock! And it sounds like some great customer service to boot!
jbdavis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 11:44:18 AM »

Lol, it's an acquired taste, I guess.

Yeah, I figure if it had been a Gadow, you'd have fixed it right up, no problem. He got testy with me when I told him about the neck problem, but I had two different luthiers tell me about it without my prompting, so it was tough to argue that there wasn't something going on with it. I had it consigned for about a year and it just collected dust.

Oh, and shortly after I bought it the preamp went bad on me. The blend pot died and it was soldered directly to the circuit board. It took about two months and a bunch of phone calls for him to finally send me a replacement. He got testy over that, too.

I hate to bash on the guy's work, but this was easily the worst experience I've had with custom basses. I've got a lot of good things to say about other basses I've owned, but not for the Kubicki.
Darkstrike

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 12:18:32 PM »

Shame to hear that, they always seemed like nice basses, and rare too, in that they're 32" scale, right?

I'm sure Ryan'd do a 32" scale bass, though!  grin
jbdavis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »

No, the Key Factors are 34" scale. It's the X-Factors are 32" scale.
Darkstrike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 02:46:54 PM »

Ahhhh, I'll admit they're a company I know little about.
RRGadow
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:42:51 PM »

Ahhhh, I'll admit they're a company I know little about.

The only company you need to know about is GADOW!  evil
Darkstrike

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2010, 02:56:38 AM »

I'll not disagree with that.   grin
dr_iggi

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 01:29:25 PM »

This is very good news.  Important to keep a strong (and current) online presence here and other forums.
strangely brown

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2011, 09:23:12 AM »

Welcome aboard Ben.  I am thoroughly pleased that you are here to irritate Ryan and to keep the forum straight.

"Fall seven times, stand up eight..."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: